Less long term maintenance and cleaner interior air with anti mould paint
Fungi such as mould is a well known blight here in Singapore, not the least due to our humid climate. Mould and mildew can form an unwanted sight on walls, floors and ceilings; they decrease the appearance and the value of the property as well as contribute to contaminated interior air which may even become a risk to people’s health. Fortunately, the risk of fungal growth can be reduced by anti mould paint which prevents the growth if well maintained and appropriately applied.
Anti mould paint can be applied as a precaution on clean surfaces or as a solution on contaminated surfaces to ensure mould never comes back. Note that mould occurs for a reason: the humidity of the surface has a source which should be identified before applying mould resistant paint. Even these anti fungal systems do not keep mould away if the surface keeps getting wet for an unknown reason. For example a roof leaks, and anti mould coating is applied but the leakage is not fixed, mould will eventually grow on the surface again.
3 reasons to rely on anti fungal paint
Anti mould paint should be applied always after having detected, and removed, fungal growth from an interior surface. On the other hand, these coatings can also be applied to prevent mould from ever showing up. This could be done for three reasons:
- Prevents bacteria from growing and spreading – anti mould paint often contains silver additives or other substances which prevent bacterial growth. Not only does it kill bacteria on the surface but it also makes sure they do not spread or survive on it.
- Purifies interior air – anti fungal coatings maintain clean interior air not only in homes but also there where clean interior air is crucial such as schools and hospitals. It is used as an antimicrobial coating in hospitals.
- Prevents damp – anti mould paint prevents especially problems caused by rising damp. This is especially important in cold underground areas such as cellars, parking garages and storage rooms.
Humidity causes mould and mildew and therefore they most often occur in areas at risk of damp. In homes these areas include for example bathrooms and showers, kitchens and basements which may be subject to rising damp.
Damp and mould are also problems of commercial and public buildings, which regularly go through a mould inspection. Preventing mould is crucial especially due to the health hazards it causes. Therefore, especially the humid and cold areas should be protected from mould attacks. These areas include basements and garages, changing rooms and showers as well as kitchens. Anti mould paint is suitable for all the aforementioned areas, however, it is important to select the right type of coating for the specific substrate.
Keep your bathroom fungi free with the right anti mould paint
As the climate here in Singapore is humid, mould in bathrooms is not an uncommon phenomenon.
Bathrooms are ideal substrates for mould growth, In bathrooms sealants are often used for waterproofing the walls where tiles are used. These sealants sometimes also have anti fungal properties. However, if you have painted wall surfaces in your bathroom, a mold resistant paint system is advisable. The anti fungal paint is applicable
- On painted surfaces which have previously suffered from mould or mildew
- As wall or ceiling paint on new substrates (for protection)
- On walls and ceilings that currently suffer from mould (special products)
Note that most of the anti fungal systems are topcoats and should not be over-coated!
Anti mould paints are usually white, but tinting them to colours is possible. Tinting is often a wiser option than over coating the substrate with a regular emulsion paint. Applying another coating on the mould resistant paint may reduce the effectivity.
Anti mould paint Singapore – Stop mould in your house!
- Ventilate the house
- Remove the mould for example with vinegar, bleach or borax (whatever you do, do it well)
- Replace fabrics such as carpets and curtains
- Seal the surface
- Coat with mould resistant paint