Ultimate shine and protection with ceramic coating for cars
Keeping a car looking shop-new can be expensive, and end up feeling like hard work. All that washing, waxing, and love feels futile when a bird finds its target only minutes after you are done. And it isn’t just the birds; UV radiation, chips, stains, dirt, swirl marks, all of these mean that the glossy newness of your coat starts to fade and wear. Which is where ceramic coating (aka glass coating for car) comes in. Ceramic coating uses nanotechnology to provide a layer of protection over your vehicle’s paint work. The coating bonds with the substrate on nano-scale, and will not wash away or break down like a wax. The glass coating for car paint keeps your car cleaner and shinier for longer.
In this article we will describe the benefits of a ceramic coating – the most popular car coating in Singapore -, how they are applied, and where you can find ceramic car coating products and applicators in Singapore.
What ceramic coating car does to your vehicle’s paint
Glass coating, ceramic coating, liquid glass, nano ceramic car coating, ceramic glass, car paint protection coating; is there a difference between all these products? Well, no, not really. All these terms are used to describe a nano coating based on silica/silicon dioxide (a key ingredient in glass). These nano solutions are hydrophobic, extremely hard, heatproof and weather resistant, and thus perfect for your vehicle. A ceramic coating makes your car paint more resilient, and easier to clean. This is because they:
- Enhance gloss – A ceramic coating coats your car in a slick, self-cleaning surface which makes your car glossy and shiny, like it just came out of the shop.
- Are hydrophobic – They repel water, so water will bead on the surface and slide off. It is also more difficult for mud and grime to adhere to the surface, making washing easier and less frequent. In Singapore the hydrophobic properties come in handy for example during the we phase of the Northeast Monsoon.
- Provide UV protection – When your vehicle is exposed to the sun, as is likely in Singapore, the paint will begin to oxidise and fade. A ceramic coating provides a barrier which protects from this effect.
- Protect from chemical stains – Acidic fluids and salt will stain and etch a paint job (including bird droppings and dead bugs), but with a ceramic coating the hydrophobic property will prevent these destructive elements from affecting the paint.
Ceramic and glass coating for car paint compared to other paint protection methods
Ceramic and glass coating for car paint are a relatively new methods of protecting car paint: they are slowly replacing the more traditional waxing and hard waxing, which is no wonder given the aforementioned properties. In the table below you can see how ceramic coating compares to waxing and hard waxing in price and durability.
|Car paint protection coating||Durability||Price from|
|Hard waxing||up to a year||$200.00|
|Ceramic coating||from 1 to 5 years depending on the product||$550.00|
Note that the prices are merely indications and include application costs and that glass and ceramic coating price range is wider than the one of more traditional paint protection methods.
The 3 downsides to be aware of before opting for ceramic coating
Even though ceramic coating is the word on every car enthusiasts lips, it is not all positive. However, also not extremely negative: there are three things you should be aware of before going for a glass coating, to avoid any surprises:
- The ceramic coating is remarkably more expensive than other car paint protection methods;
- The surface must be properly prepared, rather by a professional, prior to application;
- If the preparation or application is wrongly done, the result may be worse than without a coating.
Ceramic coating Singapore – Find a professional applicator
If you take your vehicle into a shop for a professionally-applied ceramic coating, it will of course be more expensive than if you had applied it at home. You are paying for the work hours, but also the security of a trained and experienced professional. A ceramic coating would be an investment for the serious car lover. Waxing is a quarterly expense, but you can make the care a one-off by ceramic coating car. Singapore price for a professional ceramic detail lies between $550 and $3,000 depending on the number of coats and surface treatment required. There are trained professional applicators in Singapore, whom we put in a table to provide you with an overview of the options:
|Ceramic Coating Specialist Singapore||Address|
|Ceramic PRO Singapore||9 Yishun Industrial Street 1 #01-69 North Spring Bizhub, 768163|
|Ace Gt Pte Ltd||9 Yishun Industrial Street 1 #01-70, North Spring Bizhub, 768163|
|5D Solutions Pte Ltd||7 Soon Lee St, iSPACE Singapore 627608|
|Opti-Shine||25 Kaki Bukit Road 4, #06-47 Synergy @ KB 417800|
|Revol Carz Makeover||42 Toh Guan Rd E Singapore 608583|
|CS-II Headquarters||53, Ubi Ave 1, Paya Ubi Industrial Park, #01-40, Singapore 408934|
These companies apply, distribute or manufacture the most wanted and best ceramic coatings on the Singaporean market: these include Ceramic Pro 9H and CS-II International’s CS-II Ceramic Coating.
If you are looking for information about a large scale project or industrial ceramic coating for cars, our experts are here to help. Just get in touch through the “Request a quote” button and we will help you find the right coating solution.
Applying ceramic car coating in non-professional environment
Applying a ceramic coating is an intensive operation and, like other automotive coating options, require an experienced and qualified professional to apply them. The process of glass coating car is delicate and hiring an authorised detailer will, for most people, mean a better and more effective coating application. There are, however, ceramic coating kits available in Singapore which can be applied at home, if you wish to do so.
Warning: at home a flawless result cannot be guaranteed; ceramic car coating requires an absolutely contaminant free environment which can seldom be achieved in a private garage.
Like any coating application, the condition of the substrate is a key component. Before applying the coating, your car must be as clean and as bare as possible; the coating will be easier to apply and work better the cleaner the car surface is to begin with. Though each individual product may have slightly different application requirements (and you should always follow the specific instructions), the basic procedure is as follows:
- After washing and buffing the car, wipe it down again with a low percentage (15%) IPA solution and a microfibre cloth, to make sure there is as little contaminants and oils as possible left on the car surface.
- Take the applicator pad/cloth and apply the coating in an X pattern across it. Only a very little of the coating will be needed.
- Using a circular or back and forth motion, wipe the coating onto a panel, applying to one panel at a time.
- After 5 minutes, check the application for irregularities or high points. If they are present, gently wipe over the surface with a microfibre cloth to smooth out the surface.
- Allow to cure. This step is especially important as this is when the nano coating forms crosslinks and becomes the protective coating you need.
Remember that, no matter the hype, no coating is permanent unless well maintained. A ceramic or glass coating for car will degrade if not looked after, and will need reapplication every year to five years depending on the coating.