Epoxy paint – the #1 of industrial protective coatings
An epoxy coating is a thermosetting polymer which uses an epoxy resin as its binder. Epoxy coatings usually come in two components which are combined and mixed prior to application. The epoxy resin component when combined with a curing agent or hardener begins the cross-linking process. This creates a very durable surface and provides epoxy paint and coating with its powerful protective properties. Epoxy paint can be formulated in order to achieve certain outcomes, based on the intended end-use. It is hard-wearing, chemical and acid resistant, abrasion resistant, adhesive, easy-to-clean and attractive.
In this article we will outline the various uses and properties of epoxy coating, as well as providing a guide to the industries that use epoxy paint, and companies that provide it. As epoxy paint is a versatile product, it is also suitable for use at home for example as a floor paint. Here you will find some products that are available for the consumers in Singapore.
The 5 unique characteristics of epoxy paint and coatings
Epoxy coating is used across the coating industry in many sectors and environments. It can be 100% solids, solvent-based, or water-based, and all the formulations have excellent physical qualities. It is epoxy’s unique properties that make it such a reliable and versatile coating. These include:
- Chemical resistance – Epoxy paint is highly resistant to chemicals, acid, and solvents, making it perfectly suited for industrial uses such as factories, pipelines, and tank linings.
- Abrasion resistance – Industrial flooring needs to stand up to foot traffic, vehicular traffic, mechanical loads and more. Epoxy’s abrasion resistance provides the required durability for everything from factories to garage floors. Due to its seamless film, epoxy paint is also suitable for example for HDB flat bathrooms and kitchens making the floors easy to clean.
- Watertightness – Epoxy is used for anti-corrosion measures and waterproofing in environments from private swimming pools to offshore industrial facilities.
- Durability – Because epoxy is a thermosetting resin as it cures the coating undergoes crosslinking. This means that the epoxy paint is tightly bound together and securely bonded to the substrate, providing its powerful durability.
- Quick drying and easy to apply – Being quick and easy to apply provides a significant advantage for a coating, as it means shorter downtime and less associated losses. Note that epoxy paint for consumers is also a 2K system which is slightly more difficult to apply than a single component paint.
It is the choice of epoxy and hardener which provides each formulation with its final characteristics, and these are chosen for each specific end use. Some common types of epoxy resin are Bisphenol A, Bisphenol F, and Phenolic Novolac. These vary in viscosity, flexibility, and chemical resistance. There are many co-reactors or hardeners, including polyamide, aliphatic amine, and aromatic amine. Note that the use of Bisphenol A (BPA) is limited in Singapore due to its possibly negative effects on human body.
Get in touch with an epoxy paint supplier in Singapore
For every epoxy coating application there is a company or manufacturer creating and applying these pains and coatings in Singapore. For a closer look at the specific applications of an epoxy paint, please follow the links or use the “search” button above. We have articles outlining the processes and available coatings for many different sectors.
If you would like more information about epoxy coatings, or would like to source epoxy coatings for your project, get in touch! We, in cooperation with our coating partners, will work to find a coating solution for your needs. Just use the “Request a Quote” button below, or send us an e-mail. Our experts are here to help.
Irreplaceable industrial epoxy coating in 4 of the many sectors
With so many possible applications and so many variations of epoxy coating available it can be difficult to know which coating is best for any particular need. Below we have compiled four of the most common applications for epoxy paint, and an example of a paint for each.
1. Tank & pipe coatings
Protecting tanks and pipes is a manifold problem – their exterior needs to be protected from the environment, while the interior needs protection both from and for the cargo/substance being stored or transported. Epoxy coating is perfect for this job because of its chemical resistance and hygienic properties. Whether cargo and water tanks or protection for the interior and exterior of a pipeline.
Suppliers in Singapore: Dialog Systems Pte Ltd (tanks), ACI XinXing Industries (S) Pte Ltd (pipelines)
2. Epoxy floor paint
By far the most common use of epoxy coating. Epoxy flooring is suitable for homes, industrial spaces, factories, schools, hospitals, kitchens, and laboratories, just to name a few. Epoxy is particularly appropriate for flooring because of its abrasion resistance, chemical resistance, water resistance, durability, and general toughness. It can be formulated to provide different layer thicknesses, to include a non slip aggregate, to be self-smoothing and leveling, and to provide protection for concrete surfaces. Epoxy paint can also be decorative, available in a wide range of colours and finishes for architectural coating purposes.
Supplier in Singapore: Alpha Omega Coatings Pte Ltd
3. Anti-rust systems
The global cost of corrosion is trillions of dollars a year. There are many causes of corrosion, including moisture, chemicals, salt spray, and oxidation, but an anti-corrosion system can prevent trouble by creating a barrier between the substrate and the environment. Epoxy coating provides a corrosion resistant barrier because it is water, chemical, and abrasion resistant as well as strongly adhesive and tough.
Supplier in Singapore: Amos Paints Singapore Pte Ltd
4. Antibacterial paints
Hospitals, healthcare facilities, leisure centres and swimming pools, bathrooms, GP surgeries, kitchen and food preparation areas, veterinary clinics, all of these environments require a specific level of hygiene and antimicrobial protection. An epoxy coating can be formulated to provide antibacterial protection, as well as being easy to clean and monolithic (seamless). Because epoxy is chemical resistant it also stands up to scrubbing with the harsh chemical cleaners required in these environments.
Supplier in Singapore: jMedtech Pte Ltd (medical antibacterial coatings)
Epoxy paint Singapore – The preferred coating for HDB flats
Epoxy paint and coatings are best known for their properties that benefit industrial uses. However, as epoxy is a versatile paint, it is also suitable for consumers. There are three main reasons to choose for an epoxy paint in HDB flats:
- Seamless finish – easy to clean and hygienic surfaces due to the fact that water, dirt and bacteria cannot hide in seams, cracks or gaps.
- Durable – A two component epoxy can be applied as a 2-4 mm flooring system – which lasts a lifetime – directly to concrete. A single component system is not as durable but lasts at least for 10 years depending on the substrate (such as tiles).
- Decorative – Epoxy paint is available in a wide range of colours which makes it possible to get the colour you want. Clear epoxy paint also exists and is ideal for making creative flooring and wall systems. Clear epoxy paint can be applied on tiles or textured surfaces making them smooth but not affecting the appearance.
The consumer epoxy paint exists as 2- and single component products. The 2K paints are generally more durable, but more difficult to apply. A single component product offers also sufficient durability for example for toilet and bathroom floors and walls.
If you are wondering where to buy epoxy paint in Singapore, we advice you to look for suppliers of Nippon Paint, 3M or AkzoNobel (Dulux Trade) products. For large projects (complete HDB flats or industrial areas) do not hesitate to contact us for a competitive quote for epoxy paint and application.