Choose the right floor coating for the best protection
Floor coating serves as thin protective layers on existing floors and as thicker complete flooring systems. A thin layer floor paint is usually not thicker than a millimetre, but the complete floor coating systems may reach up to one centimetre in thickness. The most common concrete floor coatings on the market are polyurethane and epoxy based resin floor coatings which both come with unique properties. Wooden floors can also be coated, as we cover later in this article.
Floor coatings are ideal for many different purposes; here below you will find 5 examples of specified floor coating functions:
- Hygiene promotion: The seamless layer prevents spread and growth of mould, bacteria and fungi.
- Flexibility and versatility in application: There is a suitable floor coating for every environment.
- Decorativeness: Available in nearly all RAL colours and in finishes from ultra matt to high gloss.
- Functional additives: It is possible make floors anti slip or fire retardant by using the right additives.
- Cost efficiency: Can postpone the need for a new floor, complete floor coating systems are durable and easy to maintain.
There are floor coatings suitable for almost any floor, but how to define which coating is the best for your project? In this article we will provide you with professional advice on choosing the right floor coating for specified commercial and industrial environments.
The first step is to define the purpose of the floor paint or coating
As every environment is different, it is crucial to choose a floor coating that matches the requirements of your specific location. Industrial floors need to bear heavy loads, and commercial floors should feel fine to walk on. A few of the most important factors to consider include downtime during installation, hygiene requirements, presence of chemicals, and people or machines using the floor.
Industrial kitchens, for example, require a HACCP certified coating to meet strict hygiene standards. Where downtime is to be avoided a fast-laid solution is an option to keep in mind. Therefore, before you jump into looking for floor paint products you should define what you expect from the coated floor.
1. High hygiene requirements
Suitable floor paint: HACCP floor coating
Applications: food and dairy industry, canteens, catering establishments, swimming pools and health centres
Floor coatings with an internationally recognised HACCP certificate contribute to a hygienic, anti bacterial environment; these coatings make sure that fungi and bacteria do not have a chance to attach to and grow on the floor. The HACCP floors are also highly resistant to contaminants and aggressive cleaning chemicals. In Singapore, HACCP coatings are mandatory for sectors that process food.
2. Industrial durability: mechanical and chemical resistance
Suitable floor paint: Epoxy floor coating
Applications: Industrial floors, warehouses, parking garages, workspaces, factories
This floor coating is an extremely hard-wearing solution which relies on epoxy resins. The coatings result in a seamless surface resistant to liquids and dirt, which makes them easy to clean. Epoxy floors bear heavy mechanical loads and do not abrade as a result of foot or vehicle traffic.
3. Walking comfort for the floor users
Suitable floor paint: Polyurethane (PU) floor coating
Applications: museums, showrooms, public places, retail stores, offices or in the living room
Polyurethane coatings are more flexible than epoxies, which makes them softer and more pleasant to walk on. These coatings are also known for their decorative properties; not only are they available in many colours but they also provide a high gloss finish. Also these coatings are easy to clean due to the fact that they are somewhat resistant to contaminants.
4. No allowance to downtime (+ mechanical and chemical resistance)
Suitable floor paint: Instant floor coating
Applications: parking garages, factories, catering kitchens, museums, distribution centres
Instant floor coatings are innovative flooring solutions for floors that should be coated with the absolute minimum downtime. The instant floor coatings do not need time for drying, as they are cured by UV radiation. SolidLux UV Instant Floor Paint is the only such product on the Singapore market at the moment.
5. Improved looks and protection for wooden floors
Suitable floor paint: Oil, stain or lacquer
Applications: residential and commercial interiors, terraces, decking
Oil, stain and lacquer are perfect solutions for protecting a wooden floor, such as parquet, while letting it retain its natural beauty. Oil is transparent and enhances the natural colours of wood. Stain is absorbed by the wood resulting in a light, semi transparent coloured finish. Stains also provide protection from moisture and UV radiation, which makes them suitable for exterior wood such as decking. Lacquer provides a transparent high gloss film on wooden floors. There are also pigmented lacquers which provide the floor with an opaque colour finish.
Floor paint as top coat provides the finishing touch to floor coatings
Depending on the requirements for the floor, the coating can be complemented with a top coat floor paint that gives the floor additional properties. This is mainly to provide additional safety and protection. A top coat is suitable on any of the aforementioned coatings apart from the wooden floor coatings. However, the top coat must also meet the required standards: a restaurant floor still must be hygienic, a factory floor must not wear easily and a commercial floor should remain pleasant to walk on.
What a topcoat floor coating can do
The functions a top coat may have include: fire resistance to minimise fire hazard, anti slip for where additional traction is needed, and anti static where electronic machines may cause short circuits. It is also possible to achieve a special effect with a top coat, for example luminous paint can be used to illuminate escape routes.
Note that if you are looking for a completely new flooring system, these properties can also be created by incorporating special additives into the actual floor coating. In that case an additional floor paint as a top coat is not needed.
Always opt for a tailored floor coating solution; provide the contractor with as many details as possible in order to achieve the most suitable floor coating. In case you need any consultancy in choosing a floor coating or you wish to reach suppliers of a specific coating, do not hesitate to contact us. We at Coatings.com.sg are happy to help!
Details you should know about applying floor paint
Often a floor coating is by far the best flooring option, however, there are some downsides related to floor coatings and their application. Consider the following factors before applying floor coatings or paints, so you know what you are dealing with:
- Application process is time consuming: A floor coating is an investment of your money and time. The application is a specialist job and can last several days, with some exceptions. If there is no time for application an instant coating is a good choice. Bear in mind that even instant coating requires a well prepared substrate.
- Layer thickness and surface preparation: The thicker the floor coating layer, the more preparation the substrate requires. The usual requirements include a completely clean surface, even surface structure and proper use of primers. Unless you are looking for a self smoothing epoxy coating, which is also applicable on uneven and damaged concrete floors.
- Pricing and durability: Thin film floor coatings are affordable, however, in the long-term they lack durability. Thicker layer floor coatings are very durable and do not require much maintenance, but they are more expensive in terms of material and application.
- Scratch sensitive epoxy: Epoxy is a hard wearing and impact resistant coating, but it lacks scratch resistance. When epoxy is the coating to be used, it is wise to apply a polyurethane top coat to increase scratch resistance.
Indication to floor coating price per m² and what you pay for
The floor coating price is usually calculated per square metre. If you want to request a quote for coating a floor, always remember to mention the area of the surface. The following 5 factors have an impact on the price of floor paint and coating:
- The larger the surface, the lower the floor coating price per m²: Small surfaces are usually relatively expensive to coat.
- Coating type: Epoxy is generally cheaper than polyurethane. Different standards apply to HACCP and Solidlux.
- Surface preparation: Some surfaces, such as concrete, require intensive pre-cleaning and surface preparation unless a self leveling epoxy floor paint system is applied; it only requires thorough cleaning.
- Moisture content on the surface: The moisture content of the substrate may not exceed 3% for optimum results.
- Cheap may turn out expensive: The quality of raw materials determine the durability of the floor coating; however, often you need to pay more for quality.
To make it easier for you to roughly estimate floor coating prices, we have put together a list of price indications per m². Note that the prices for instant and HACCP coating are higher than other floor coatings, so the following table cannot be used as a guideline for these two coating types. For the other floor coatings, the table provides a price indication as they are subject to change and variability. Price of floor paint top coats is slightly lower than the floor coating system prices.
|SURFACE AREA OF FLOOR||PRICE INDICATION PER M²|
|1 – 50 m²||$80 – $123|
|51 – 100 m²||$63 – $80|
|101 – 150 m²||$53 – $73|
|151 m² +||$37 – $63|
Floor Paint Singapore – Find a local flooring specialist
Let’s say you have in mind to update a cold room with a hygienic HACCP coating, a parking garage with a fast-curing instant coating, a car showroom with a warm PU floor or something completely different. We at Coatings.com.sg are happy to offer our services to provide you with a floor coating solution. In co-operation with our coating partners we can draw up a competitive proposal for both material and application of floor coatings. In Singapore for example Galaxy Painters carry out floor coating jobs that require epoxy coating.
Selection of floor paint manufacturers in Singapore
In case you are curious for floor coating manufacturers and floor paint products offered by them, we put few of them in a table.
|Floor coating manufacturer||Address in Singapore|
|3M Singapore Yishun||1, Yishun Avenue 7, Singapore 768923|
|Nippon Paint Singapore Co. Pte Ltd||1, First Lok Yang Road Jurong, Singapore 629728|
|Epont Coatings||21 Bukit Batok Crescent #03-84, WCEGA Tower, Singapore 658065|
|Kangaroo Paints||566A Balestier Road Singapore 329883|